THIS IS A PAID POSITION WITH COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS
About the Volunteers of America Northwest Ohio
Volunteers of America Northwest Ohio is a nonprofit, faith-based organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential since 1901. We provide housing to the homeless, elderly and disabled, support services to individuals and families, and programming to assist ex-offenders in returning to the community. Our programs currently operate in Lucas, Erie, Ottawa, Seneca, and Sandusky counties.
About Adult Care Facilities
Our Adult Care Facilities provides accommodations to unrelated adults and provides supervision and personal care services in a group home setting for severely mentally disabled men and women. We operate four homes, licensed by the Ohio Department of Health, in both Erie and Ottawa Counties. A maximum of five severely mentally disabled individuals per house receive assistance with daily living skills. Individuals must be referred through the local mental health agency and be eligible for 508 certification. We also manage approximately 25 scattered site apartments in Sandusky and Port Clinton that receive subsidy through a contract with Mental Health and Recovery Board of Erie and Ottawa Counties. These apartments are for individuals or families with a diagnosed severe mental disability and eligibility for 508 certification.
About this position
This is an entry level position normally scheduled to work 40 hours per week including weekends and holidays.
The RESIDENTIAL Assistant is responsible for assisting severely mentally disabled adults in Ohio Deparrtment of Health licensed facility, providing direct resident supervision in house, and provides (24) hour safety and security monitoring for the facility and grounds.
All staff are expected to role model effective communication skills. The position requires experience and skills managing and supervising others with mental disabilities effectively. All new hires must obtain CPR and First Aid certification.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage and monitor all activities of residents living at assigned Adult Care Facility.
- Chart and record resident behavior and /or any other unusual incidents or emergency situations.
- Support items identified in the mental health plan for care.
- Instruct and assist residents in housekeeping duties.
- Conduct room inspections.
- Prepare incident reports or change in health status reports when appropriate.
- Participate in fire inspections, fire drills, and other emergency preparedness processes.
- Monitor residents’ taking of medication as prescribed or instructed by physician/s.
- Assist in maintenance of Adult Care Facility to ensure the safety of residents.
- Assist residents in developing activities of daily living including, but not limited to:
a. Menu and meal planning
b. Grocery shopping
c. Cooking and general meal preparation; following dietary standards as prescribed.
d. Household cleaning and other related chores.
e. Laundry, including bedding
f. Personal hygiene, including bath, showers, and hair care.
Remain in the Adult Care Facility during the entire shift until relieved by next staff member.
Participate in required on-going training.